Yeah I bought a new phone, my wife and I have HTC Eris Droids now. I set up the IDE on my MacBook to handle Android 1.5 as a compiler target, and thrashed around trying to get the code to build for hours. My talkLock splash screen app runs on my phone now, even though I don't know why. I intuitively threw some hacky code in and it worked. It has something to do with R.drawable.image_name not resolving; Eclipse said it wanted an "int" so I figured out the resource id of my "image_name.jpg" image.
I get frustrated sometimes because the official tutorials have code in them that doesn't work, which means that this Android stuff is all very new and rough right now. I am fairly patient though, because I realize that I'm running Eclipse on platforms other than Windows, so I'm working in an environment that is shared by a very small percentage of Android hackers, which is a very small percentage of Java programmers overall. So it's really amazing that any of it works at all.
My only Windows box is very old and so I'm going to try to avoid doing development on it. It's a Pentium III Sony Vaio. I am not interested in seeing how Eclipse runs on it.
I am putting builds in the talkLock area on marmot.