Thursday, January 31, 2008

a little progress

I've been working on getting my development environment going on a couple of different machines, so I can work on my code on my personal or my work laptop. I now know how to get Netbeans and JDK and javadoc all working. That's all well and good, but maybe the best part is, I got my demo application to run and display an image, and then I added some text. I even made a little logo graphic for my "splash screen" :) But that's where all great programs start right? With a fancy splash screen!

At least that's how I always wrote programs when I was a kid, I'd spend two days on the splash screen, and write the rest of the program in a few hours :)


I'm enjoying using Netbeans, I've never used an IDE before. I wouldn't care about it, but the javadoc mouse-overs while coding, wow. Beats staring at library sources. I do have the java mobility midp sources, or at least everything that's been released. So if the docs don't make sense, at least I have the code to stare at.

I'm a little concerned at how my program is going to handle the necessary midp states, like pauseApp(). I usually just write big ugly state machines. We'll see what happens. Next I think I'll work on making an SSL connection, and maybe stare at some audio encoding/decoding code.

No comments: