Wednesday, July 9, 2008

bringing up the ui; using persistent storage; &c

Last evening was cool and rainy. I started the program "from the beginning", in other words, the end user experience that will be the release version of talkLock. So at start time there is the logo, and your server name, user name, and password are fetched from persistent storage, the "RecordStore". If they are not there, I wrote talkLockSetup(). talkLockSetup will give you a form (Form) with TextFields to edit your server name, username, password, and submit the form. On submission, the CommandListener will blow away any existing persistent records, and add your new settings. It's starting to feel like it does stuff and is a real program :)

I did have quite a bit of trouble with the damn RecordStore. It only takes one datatype (byte array), and though it claims to read and write to it, my byte arrays that I get from it are empty. I was assuming that the record IDs for a store that has 3 records would be 1, 2, and 3. That was probably not a good assumption to make. But we'll get there.

Once I get this RecordStore API down, I think it will be time for networking :)

No comments: